Wide Stance Squats
This Barbell Squats Variation uses a Wider Stance to Place more of an Emphasis on the Inner Thighs and Hamstrings
Welcome to our Wide Stance Squats Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you'll learn how to do this Barbell Squats variation using the correct technique. Below you'll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this Barbell Squats variation made the list.
|Exercise Name:||Wide Stance Squats|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back|
|Equipment Required:||Barbell |
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Wide Stance Squats are a variation of Barbell Squats
done with a wider than shoulder width foot base to place more of an emphasis on the hamstrings and inner thigh. These are a great change of pace exercise to emphasize a slightly different area but still work all of the major leg muscles.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Lift a barbell off of a weight rack so that it is positioned across your upper back on your traps.
- Stand with your feet wider than shoulder width apart (about 30 inches apart) with your toes pointing out.
- With your abs drawn in, descend slowly by bending forward at the knees and allowing your hips to bend back as if you are sitting down (squatting).
- Descend until thighs are just past parallel to floor.
- Extend knees and hips until legs are straight again by pressing upwards and maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel.
- Once you have returned to the starting position, pause for a moment then and repeat.
- Practice Squats without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward, your back straight and your feet flat on the floor throughout the exercise. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift.
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises: Now that you've seen Wide Stance Squats, which primarily targets your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises
Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises
as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises
and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages: