This Squats Variation is done with a Dumbbell Between your Legs and your Toes Pointed Out
Welcome to our Sumo Squats Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you'll learn how to do this squats variation using the correct technique. Below you'll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this Dumbbell Squats variation made the list.
|Exercise Name:||Sumo Squats|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Abs, Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings|
|Equipment Required:||Dumbbell |
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Sumo Squats are different than most squats variations as you squat down while holding a dumbbell between your legs with your toes pointed out. This exercise should be done sparingly in Fat Loss Workouts
rather than Muscle Building Workouts
due to the limited amount of weight you are able to use.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Stand with your feet 4-6 inches wider than your shoulders, with your toes pointed out at a 45 degree angle.
- Grasp a dumbbell with both hands in the center of your body.
- While keeping your back straight, descend slowly by bending at the knees and hips as if you are sitting down (squatting).
- Lower yourself until your quadriceps and hamstrings are parallel to the floor.
- Return to the starting position by pressing upwards and extending your legs while maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions
- Practice the squat without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your head facing forward, your back straight and your feet flat on floor throughout the exericse. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
Now that you've seen Sumo Squats, which primarily targets your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises
Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises
as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises
and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages: