Smith Machine Bent Over Row
Add this Variation of one of the Best Back Exercises to your next Back Workout and other Weight Training Programs
Welcome to our Smith Machine Bent Over Row Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you'll learn how to do this lat and upper back exercise using the correct technique. Below you'll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Back Exercises so you can immediately add to your Weight Training Programs and next Back Workout.
Have you seen our Best Back Exercises list yet? See if this Bent Over Row variation made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Smith Machine Bent Over Row|
|Main Muscle:||Upper Back|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Lats, Biceps, Deltoids, Trapezius|
|Exercise Type:||Compound, Pull |
|Equipment Required:||Smith Machine |
Exercise Description and Instruction:
The Smith Machine Bent Over Row is a variation of the Barbell Bent Over Row
and will help to ensure proper range of motion. Make sure to view Dumbbell Rows
, which are also a great upper back exercise.
To get the best results, be sure to keep your back straight and your feet firmly planted on the floor throughout the exercise. Make sure you concentrate on pulling your shoulder blades together as you row the weight.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Start with your feet a shoulder-width apart in front of a Smith Machine.
- Bend over the bar until your back is almost parallel with the floor and grasp the bar with a grip just wider than shoulder width apart.
- Unhook the weight from its supports and stand in an athletic position with your back straight and your knees bent. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart or slightly wider. This is the starting position.
- Exhale and raise the bar up towards your chest by contracting your arms and pulling your shoulder blades together. Continue until the bar touches your lower chest.
- Pause for a moment then inhale and return the bar to the starting position by extending your arms slowly and lowering the weight. Your back should remain straight and at the same angle throughout the exercise
- It doesn't take a lot of weight for this exercise to be challenging. Concentrate on maintaining good form.
- Keep your back straight throughout this exercise and your feet planted firmly on the floor.
- Concentrate on squeezing your shoulder blades together as you row.
- Perform each row in a slow and controlled manner using only your arms and back.
Other Weight Training Exercises and Related Sections
Now that you've seen the Smith Machine Bent Over Row exercise, which primarily targets your upper back muscles, check out all of our different Upper Back Exercises.
Or, view our Back Exercises Main Page
and link directly to our Upper Back Exercises
as well as our Lat Exercises
and Lower Back Exercises
Final Related Pages