Hold the Weight Overhead as you Complete this Squats Variation, which calls on all of your Leg Muscles as well as your Back and Shoulders
Welcome to our Overhead Squat Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you'll learn how to do this Barbell Squats variation using the correct technique. Below you'll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other Leg Exercises so you can immediately add to your Leg Workouts.
Have you checked out our list of the Best Leg Exercises yet? See if this Barbell Squats variation made the list.
|Exercise Name:||Overhead Squat|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Shoulders|
|Equipment Required:||Barbell |
Exercise Description and Instruction:
Overhead Squats are different than most squats variations as hold the weight overhead throughout the squats rather than on your shoulders. This exercise should be done sparingly in Fat Loss Workouts
rather than Muscle Building Workouts
due to the limited amount of weight you are able to use.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Stand with your feet a bit wider than shoulder width apart with your toes pointed slightly outward.
- Grasp a barbell with a slightly wider than shoulder width overhand grip with your arms and elbows fully extended.
- While keeping the bar overhead, squat down and descend slowly by bending at the knees and hips as if you are sitting down (squatting).
- Lower yourself until your quadriceps and hamstrings are parallel to the floor.
- Return to the starting position by pressing upwards and extending your legs while maintaining an equal distribution of weight on your forefoot and heel.
- Repeat for the prescribed number of repetitions
- Practice the squats without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
- Keep your abs drawn in, your back tight, your chest up, and your head facing forward with your feet flat on floor throughout the exercise. You should maintain equal weight distribution on your forefoot and heel during the lift
Other Popular Leg Exercises:
Check out some of our other popular Lower Body Exercises. These pages link to all of our variations of the most popular leg exercises:
Now that you've seen Overhead Squat, which primarily targets your Quads, check out all of our different Quadriceps Exercises.
Also view our Leg Exercises
Page, which links to our Quadriceps Exercises
as well as our Calf Exercises, Glute Exercises
and Hamstring Exercises.
Finally, if you found this page of interest, check out these related pages: