Climber Pull Ups
This Compound Exercise is a variation of Standard Pull Ups and is one of the Best for Building Strength in the Arms and Back
Welcome to our Climber Pull Ups Exercise Instruction Guide!
On this page you'll learn how to do this compound body weight exercise using the correct technique. Below you'll find pictures, exercise instructions, and tips on how to get the most out of this and other weight training exercises so you can immediately add to your back workouts, bicep workouts, and other weight training programs.
Have you seen our Best Back Exercises list yet? See if this body weight exercise made the list!
|Exercise Name:||Climber Pull Ups|
|Secondary Muscle(s):||Biceps, Forearms, Upper Back|
|Exercise Type:||Pull, Compound|
|Equipment Required:||Pull Up Bar |
Exercise Description and Instruction:
This Compound Exercise is one of our Body Weight Exercises
and is a variation of Standard Pull Ups
. Pull-Ups are one of the most popular and most beneficial body weight exercises, but unfortunately, they're a great test of strength that most people fail. While doing climber pull-ups, you will alternate the side that you pull to and emphasize.
If you're unable to complete a set of Pull Ups, build your strength with Chin Ups, Lat Pull Down, or Narrow Parallel Grip Chin Ups, which are slightly easier, but also great exercises for these muscle groups.
To Perform This Exercise:
- Grasp a pull up bar with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.
- While keeping your body straight, pull yourself up to one side of the bar using primarily that side's arm.
- Lower your body back down to the starting position.
- Raise yourself to the other side of the bar and repeat.
- Concentrate on squeezing the back muscles at the top of the lift.
- Keep your back straight throughout this exercise.
- Perform each repetition in a slow and controlled manner using only your arms and back.
- Fully extend your arms at the bottom of the exercise before moving to another repetition.
- Hold a dumbbell between your feet for additional resistance.
Check out these other popular Body Weight Exercises:
Other Weight Training Exercises and Related Sections
Now that you've seen Climber Pull Ups, which primarily targets your lats, check out all of our different Lat Exercises.
Or, view our Back Exercises Main Page
, which links directly to our Lat Exercises
as well as our Lower Back Exercises
, and Upper Back Exercises
Final Related Pages